The purpose of the Heritage Park Commission is to encompass the community’s desire to:
- Acknowledge the Onondaga People as the original peoples of this land;
- Create a public space for healing, peace, rest, and gathering;
- Celebrate the many different peoples from many cultures that have contributed to our community’s identity and recognize their resiliency in the face of oppression;
- Acknowledge oppression in its many forms and its effects on our communities;
- Work with the Italian American Task Force to maintain the fountain basin and an Italian presence in the newly created Park.
Two main strategies under the purview of the Heritage Park Commission:
- Develop the content and inform the design of the Heritage and Education Site.
- Inform the City’s Request for Proposal (RFP) that will draw designers and artists.